It Gets Better Video Guidelines
- In order to upload a video, you need a valid YouTube/Google account. To create a YouTube/Google account, follow the instructions at www.YouTube.com/create_account.
- Please record your video in a quiet setting and project your voice.
- Make sure light is on your face and not behind it (i.e. don’t sit in front of a bright window or a lamp).
- Title your video. Use “It Gets Better” in the title and include your name and location, e.g. “It Gets Better: Leslie and Lisa in Tampa.”
- Use tags to describe your video like “Theater Group” “GSA” “Midwest” “International”
- Use safer messaging practices. See our “Safe Messaging Policy” for more information.
- Be positive! Remind LGBT youth that they are unique, that they should be proud of who they are, and that if they are struggling, there is a community available that is there to support them.
- Emphasize individual and collective responsibility for supporting the well-being of LGBT people.
- Speak authentically and from the heart. Make the message your own.
- Please don't use our logo in your video (it’s a copyright issue).
- Please don't submit music videos or short films.
- Avoid negative language and specifically mentioning self-harm.
- Please don’t describe the method used in a suicide attempt/death or idealize suicide victims and create an aura of celebrity around them.
- If you or someone you know might be in need of help, be sure to check out www.itgetsbetter.org/resources.
- If you would like to mention specific organizations that can provide immediate assistance for someone in need, we suggest:
- The Trevor Project Helpline: 866-4-U-TREVOR (866-48 8-7386)
- The National Suicide Lifeline: 877-273-TALK (8255)